Choosing Effective Passwords
Your identity is one of your most valuable resources. That is one reason why PurePoint® Financial wants to help you take extra precautions to protect it. We recommend that you help safeguard your identity and personal information by using effective password protection. Here are some suggestions for creating safer passwords and some cautions against weaker ones.
Tips for choosing more-secure passwords:
- Create original passwords that contain a combination of letters, numbers, and even special characters (#, &, %) if allowed.
- Use both capital and lowercase letters (if your password can be case sensitive).
- Ensure that your passwords are at least eight characters.
- Your Social Security number.
- Account numbers.
- Phone numbers or addresses.
- Birth dates or anniversaries.
- Obvious or common nicknames.
- Names of relatives or pets.
- Common words from the dictionary.
- Use a unique password for each service or website.
- Choose a password you can easily remember, so you don't have to write it down.
- Change your passwords at least twice a year.